JNPC is seeking an intern with expertise in translating research results to an attractive form to be better understood by the public. Through this, we aim to provide education and exposure to the public via social media and printed materials on the importance of preserving our natural treasures.
Apart from that, we also intend to attract the attention of researchers to conduct research and make Taman Negara Johor as a research hub as we have the Natural Education and Research Center (NERC) in Endau Rompin Johor National Park.
This internship is proudly supported by the JNPC, the ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity (ACB), and the European Union through the Biodiversity Conservation and Management of Protected Areas in ASEAN (BCAMP) Project.
Johor National Parks Corporation (JNPC) is a statutory body responsible for managing 5 national parks (Endau Rompin Selai, Endau Rompin Peta, Gunung Ledang, Tanjung Piai and Pulau Kukup) and a marine park (Sultan Iskandar Marine Park). The Parks managed by JNPC are classified as Protected Area under the IUCN Category II, and have obtained several recognitions such as Tapak Warisan Kebangsaan, Ramsar sites, Important Birds Areas, etc. The main objective for the park is for conservation, research, education and ecotourism. The Park is home to many terrestrial wildlife such as tiger, elephant, sun bear, and various species of birds. In addition to fauna, there are also various species of flora including endemic species, for instance, Livistona Endauensis, Begonia yenyeniae, etc.
Scope of work:
Reporting to Manager of Research Unit, JNPC and in close coordination with the ACB BCAMP National Coordinator for Malaysia and the ASEAN Youth Biodiversity Programme (AYBP) Coordinator, the intern is expected to help in:
- Extracting and summarising results and key messages from previous research done by JNPC into infographics and other similar formats for dissemination to a general public audience;
- Designing nature posters and flyers for publication;
- Drafting social media posts about research done in JNPC Parks;
- Creating video(s) about research programmes in JNPC Parks;
- Taking photographs of flora and fauna in JNPC Parks to be used in communications materials;
- Documenting research programmes and related events in JNPC Parks for communication purposes;
- Writing progress monthly reports and End-of-Internship report
- Any other tasks as may be required.
Expected duration: 5 months, beginning in July 2022
Number of positions available: 1
- Age 18-35 on the date of application
- Citizen of Malaysia
- Staying in Johor is preferable
- Able to communicate in Malay and English (written and oral)
- Interested in photography work (especially nature and wildlife photography)
- Current student or fresh graduate of Graphic Design or related field
- Passionate about biodiversity and able to work in the remote area
- Experience in graphic work will be highly preferred. Candidates are encouraged to submit samples or their portfolio
- Experience in video production and editing highly preferred. Candidates are encouraged to submit samples or their portfolio
- Forestry students who have expertise in science communication and graphic design are also strongly encouraged to apply for this position
The selected intern will be provided with a stipend of USD 330 (approx. RM1,350) per month to cover his/her accommodation, living, and travel expenses. Relocation costs, as well as medical, health, and life insurance are not provided.
- Applicants need to apply using the official form on http://bit.ly/YIPAapply, in English. No other forms of application is allowed. You will require:
- Digital PDF copy of CV
- Sample(s) of previous work related to the internship, submitted via the application form
- Application deadline: 15 June 2022, 23:59h GMT+8
- Possible interview: late June 2022 (if applicable and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview)
- Only complete applications submitted in English via the application form (http://bit.ly/YIPAapply) before the deadline will be considered. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.